IGNITING CRITICAL AND CREATIVE THINKING

Lightbulb Moments

A Fun Activity to Describe Characters

Are you looking for a fun way to teach describing characters and character traits?  Try this!  Fold each side of a horizontal sheet of paper to the middle.  Have the kids draw a picture of the character on the front.  Put words to describe the outward appearance of the character on the outside.  This can be things that are obvious from the text.  Next, open the page up and write character traits and words to describe the character’s emotions on the inside.  These are things you have to infer about the character’s traits based on the evidence from the text.  It’s pretty fun and these make a great display!

I have a little template you can use to make these if you would like.  Just click on it to download it from Google Docs!

sign up for character trait face foldable freebie

Related Posts

31 Comments

• I can not download the sample from google docs for the character study. Please help! What am I doing wrong. THanks.

• Hi Sarah, I just fixed the link. Click on the image and it should take you to Google Drive. Thank you for letting me know!

• What a fantastic resource Susan! I'm studying to be a teacher and am going to include this in one in a literacy block on character development. I had fun trying it out too… 🙂

• Thank you for the excellent idea! I can't wait to use this with my 1st graders. I don't know if anyone mentioned this or even noticed it, but in the story, Amazing Grace, Grace wants to be Peter Pan, not Tinkerbell. 🙂 Love that book, a truly brave girl!

• This is awesome! I can't wait to use this in my classroom. Thank you for sharing.

• This is so neat! And I love your sample! I'm definitely going to do this with my class during our character study! Thanks so much!

• Your template has spread like wildfire at my school. Students who are struggling with their behavior have used this to describe themselves! I am using it as a character study for the main characters of "The View From Saturday". Thank you for posting this!
    Susan Mescall

• Looking forward to using this with Bradley from "There is a Boy in the Girl's Restroom." Thank you!!!

• We will be studying character traits right off this year. I plan to have each student draw himself/herself and write their own character traits. Our open house is just 2 weeks later, so we will display these in the hallway for all to see. This just killed 2 birds with one stone for me. Thanks!!!

• Found this via Pinterest and I LOVE this idea – especially for my visual learners. We are going to use it in conjunction with Sunday School this summer as we are learning about the fruits of the Spirit. Thank you for the template! That really helps non-artistic people like myself who can only draw stick figures 🙂

• I'll use this for kids to talk about themselves the first day of school! Awesome!!

• Great idea! I plan on using this before our 1st quarter conferences. I like the idea of using it to describe themselves too! Thanks so much

• Thank you for your template. I am using it to do a compare/ contrast biography project. Students will draw their own faces on one side and a famous person's on the other. Inside they will fill in information about themselves and the subject of their research. Your face templates provided the touch I was looking for to make the assignment more interesting to the kids.

• Thanks for this! I am teaching character traits to 2nd Grade ELL students! I am so excited to share it with them!

• Thank you for your idea and especially for your template. I used it to help my fourth grade students create A famous person and me biography report. Each student read a book about a famous American. I created a list of questions about the famous person and a corresponding list about the student and listed them inside of the folded template. The students answered the questions and then made one half of the face on the template look like themselves and the other look like the famous person. The project worked well and the students seemed to enjoy doing it.

• Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to use this in my classroom. I think the kids will love it. 🙂

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hi! I’m Susan, a Southern gal who loves sweet tea, Fixer Upper and creating educational resources. I am passionate about student engagement and academic growth. My goal is to share fresh resources and ideas that will engage your students and ignite creative and critical thinking.

What are you looking for?

Lightbulb Moments

Find Me on TpT

Find Me on TpT

What are you looking for?

Lightbulb Moments