Welcome to Keep 'Em Thinking!
That’s where I come in! My goal in creating this speck in cyberspace is to draw upon my years of experience and research in teaching creative and critical thinking to provide you with tips, insights, and resources to help you create a Thinking Classroom.
We’re in this together! Let’s start a conversation! I’d love to hear about your thoughts, successes and challenges as you navigate through your teaching journey. Please feel free to email me or write in my comments section, and I will respond.
My stepson Charles, me, and my husband Roger on a dive in Freeport.
I was born and raised in the South. The farthest North I have ever lived was Atlanta, Georgia. I currently live in Montgomery, Alabama, the home of the Civil Rights Movement, smack in the middle of the Deep South. I love living in the South mostly because of the weather and being close to the Gulf Beaches.
We Southerners tend to live at a more leisurely pace, although we might have a tendency to talk you ear off. There’s nothing else like Southern Hospitality. We’ll feed you and fill you up with sweet tea, open our homes to you, and you’ll hear plenty of “Yes sirs,” and “Yes Ma’ams.”
There are so many other things I love about the South like the meat and three restaurants with traditional Southern food like fried chicken and pork chops, turnip greens, shrimp and grits, cornbread, peas, fried green tomatoes and buttermilk biscuits that will melt in your mouth.
And then there’s the French hand sewn dresses all the little girls wear to church and other special occasions. And monograms – we LOVE monograms and you will see them on everything! If you ever get down here, give me a call and I’ll serve you a glass of sweet tea.
Just a few more facts about me:
- I am a proud mother of four (a son and daughter, and a stepson and stepdaughter), grandmother to 3 little boys and one granddaughter
- I am recently widowed.
- I am a huge Fixer Upper Fan – when I went to Ft. Worth, Texas to visit my son, we took a side trip to Magnolia Farms in Waco. I had a blast! I recently moved into a condo and totally remodeled it with Fixer Upper as an inspiration for almost every inch!
- I love learning new things and still get as excited about learning a new teaching strategy or
finding a wonderful new resource for students as I did 40 years ago.
- I am not happy unless I have a project or am creating something. I’ve been that way since I was a kid.
- I love the ocean, and used to scuba dive. My favorite dives were with gray reef sharks and dolphins.
- I prefer to read childen’s picture books and nonfiction to fiction, and my favorite TV series of all time is Downton Abby.
- I retired April 1, 2016 after 41 years in education (38 were in gifted education). I now work as an educational consultant and create instructional materials to ignite critical and creative thinking which I sell on Teachers Pay Teachers.
- The two accomplishments of my teaching career of which I am the most proud are being the 2015 recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award in Gifted Education for the state of Alabama and receiving my National Board Certification as a Middle Childhood Generalist in 2002 and re certifying in 2012.
Now that you know a little more about me, I hope you will take some time to explore my blog.
Remember to always… Keep ’em Thinking!