Do you have reluctant writers in your classroom? Don’t despair! This Christmas and Hanukkah writing activity will motivate even your most challenged writers. These creative writing prompts provide choice and include the tools needed to plan and write great Christmas and Hanukkah narratives.
Your students will love getting to select the setting, problem/plot, and character cards for their story and creating their own unique Holiday themed narrative. These Christmas writing prompts generate fun and engaging plots (some are humorous) which are highly motivating to even the most reluctant writers!
Be sure to check out the preview to see everything that’s included in this unit.
This Christmas and Hanukkah writing activity includes:
- A Google Slides™ version of the student response pages.
- An instructional slideshow teaching how to write a Christmas narrative
- A poster about the elements of a Merry Story
- Christmas and Hanukkah Setting, Character, Problem, and Items Cards – includes some generic writing prompts (TIP: Do not put out all the cards at any one time in the center. Too much choice is overwhelming, especially for younger students. There are enough cards so you can put out a few each week. I would select 6-8 problem cards at any one time to put out.)
- Word lists for sensory words, transition words, emotions, and vivid verbs
- Graphic Organizers for the Setting, Characters, Story Map, Story Summary, and Sensory Words
- Checklist for your story
- Writing rubric
- Holiday-themed writing papers
What teachers like you have said about these Christmas and Hanukkah writing prompts
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐My students absolutely loved this activity. I love that I can use it virtual or in person. And that it’s inclusive and doesn’t just focus on Christmas. Makes it easy to use in your classroom with everyone around Christmas time! – Kylee H.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐My students absolutely LOVED these story templates. I had to come back and get more. I loved the structure, routine, and easy incorporation of different skills into these lessons. Definitely will be using again and again. – Meagan T.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐This was especially great for my virtual learners! I loved that they could continue to create several different versions of stories after they completed their first one! – Digital Designs by Dooley
How can I use this product?
⇒ In a writing center
⇒ As a round-robin writing activity – a student begins the story and then passes it to the next person
⇒ As a paired writing activity
THIS CHRISTMAS AND HANUKKAH WRITING CENTER IS PART OF A BUNDLE OF 11 SEASONAL, HOLIDAY, AND GENRE WRITING UNITS.
Who can use this?
⇒ Teachers in grades 2-4. With modifications, it can be used with students in K-1
⇒ Homeschool Teachers
⇒ Teachers in upper elementary who serve English Language Learners or students with special needs.
Common Core Standards:
CCSS.W.3.3 CCSS.W.3.3a CCSS.W.3.3b CCSS.W.3.3c CSS.W.3.3d
CCSS.W.4.3 CCSS.W.4.4 CCSS.W.4.5 CCSS.W.4.3a CCSS.W.4.3b CCSS.W.4.3c CCSS.W.4.3c CCSS.W.4.3d CCSS.W.4.3e
CCSS.W.5.3 CCSS.W.5.3a CCSS.W.5.3b CCSS.W.5.3c CCSS.W.5.3d CCSS.W.5.3e
More Seasonal Writing Units:
More Christmas Activities: